Top 10 Sillage Monsters
A sillage monster is defined as a fragrance that projects its scent over a wide area . In other words, how deeply a scent penetrates the immediate (at times distant) area around the wearer entitles it the coveted labeling of “sillage monster”. The further away from you the scent can be smelled or perceived, the greater the sillage a scent has. Sadly though, most scents do not project well enough to be called sillage monsters. In fact, true sillage monsters are quite rare but I’ve taken the time to compile a nice list.
Obviously, for many reasons, we all want a sillage monster. It’s a nice way to display how lovely we smell and a surefire way to elicit compliments. However, sometimes too sillage much can be a bad thing. I’ve heard stories of a scent announcing one’s arrival before the person even enters the door. Thats not so good. You don’t wanna be the cologne guy.
The goal is to find a scent that can be easily and pleasantly perceived by others without them having to stand too close to you. Also, we want to be able to adapt our application scent as they will behave differently on different types of skin.
Sillage is an independent measure used to evaluate the overall quality of a certain scent although it’s almost always a good indicator of longevity. Some scents suffer the sprinter syndrome. They intensely pump out scent for a few minutes and then they completely disappear within the hour. This is known as the deodorant effect. One must understand that sillage is not always indicative of longevity however, most long lasting scents tend to have better than average sillage. Sillage and longevity ARE mutually exclusive but do correlate more often than not. Keep this in mind when doing your shopping.
First impressions always matter and fragrance companies know this. For someone trying a scent for the first time, a fragrance that explodes and covers the entire room is likely to be perceived as high quality and super strong so most amateur buyers fall for this trap and buy the scent. And then after wearing it for a couple of days, they are surprised it barely lasts over 3 hours. The rare combination is a scent that keeps a uniform level of strength throughout the scent life. I have mentioned and highlighted these.
1. Joop! Homme – If you are looking for a fragrance that can be smelled downstairs while you are sitting upstairs, then Joop! Homme is all you need. Joop! is a sillage monster so harsh and so strong, it burns the nose when you spray it for the first time. Not only that, Joop! Homme is a sickly sweet woody oriental fragrance that lasts well over 24 hours. It’s so common that you shouldn’t buy this if you are looking to stand out or make a good impression. It smells good, yes, but classy it isn’t.
Still, the quality can’t be faulted. This is why after 22 years, it’s still a best-seller.
Sillage: 10/10. Quite possibly the strongest fragrance for men available.
Age Group: Late teens to Early 20′s. Older guys wear this and it doesn’t look right.
Categorization: Cool weather/night time scent.
2. Thierry Mugler A*MEN – Talk about radio active. This fragrance smells like burnt sugar, tar, coffee, caramel and vanilla all in one. It’s so strong on the patchouli too (smells like freshly dug earth)! At the very beginning, the strong burnt sugar note is so strong that one spray is almost too much. However, if you wear it in the cold winter and it becomes beautiful and envelopes the wearer in a soft, sweet persistent cloud of scent. For that reason, this a fragrance to be worn in cooler weather only. Be light on the trigger please.
Sillage: 9.5/10. Some argue that A*MEN has a bigger sillage cloud than Joop!. No sir. It DOES seem to last longer though.
Age Group: Late Teens to Mid 30s. Older guys can pull this off thanks to that strong patchouli.
Categorization: Strictly cool weather/night time/clubbing. WAAYY too sweet to be worn in the summer.
3. Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur Du Male – When I received my bottle, I could smell it BEFORE I opened the box. Talk about announcing an arrival! This powerful concoction of neroli (orange blossom), vanilla and coumarin (soft sweet grassy note) is a relentless scent dynamo. Bear in mind that because it’s so floral, it can be mistaken for a feminine fragrance. Also, the flowers aren’t clean florals. They are dirty florals. Dirty like jasmine but without the jasmine.
It’s in your face, strong and sweet. It easily lasts over 16 hours on my skin which is ample though I have to say, it’s older brother, Le Male lasts longer but is much calmer on the sillage.
If you are worried about the radioactive strength, I recommend the La Cologne spray which still retains the strong sillage with a bit more freshness (citrus) and a lot less harshness.
Age Group: Late Teens to Mid 20′s
Categorisation: Clubbing Scent.
4. Jacques Bogart Pour Homme – I still struggle to get over the fact that I bought a gift-set with 100ml of the EDT, 200ml showergel, 100ml aftershave balm and 150ml natural spray deodorant for £8! Bogart Pour Homme is cheap but don’t let that fool you. This is a high quality designer fragrance. Certainly much higher in quality than similarly priced drugstore scents and other scents that cost 5 times as much.
Not only that, it lasts a lot longer than fragrances which cost 5 times as much. The sillage is also monstrous. Here we have a fragrance so strong, it burns the skin upon contact. How’s that for radioactive? Once it settles down, it’s a vanilla and tobacco leaf assault that can stay perched on your skin for well over 24 hours. I took the showergel to the gym and 2 months later, my gym bag still smells of Bogart Pour homme and it didn’t even leak!
It is so strong, even the deodorant lasts 12 hours! The EDT lasts about twice as much! The scent itself is quite harsh as you would have guessed. I recommend being extremely light on the trigger with this.
Age Group: late 20′s, early 30′s
Categorisation: Cool Weather Scent.
5. Michael Kors Michael For Men – Of all the scents, this is probably the most unusual smelling (in a good way). Michael for men is sweet, almost bubblegum like then suddenly it’s suede-like and boozy then it becomes fruity and then suddenly it’s woody. It’s a constantly evolving scent that is difficult to describe.
A lot of people say this is a tobacco dominant scent. I frankly can’t smell it. I can guarantee this, It’s absolutely unique. Beautiful. The beauty is Michael For Men is the controlled sillage. Spraying it won’t fill a room but it retains it’s strength for a remarkable amount of time. It’s really difficult to describe. It’s so strong and persistent that after 8 hours it’s almost just as strong as it was when you sprayed it on. Utterly enjoyable, rare and inexpensive, Michael for men is a MUST HAVE for the man looking to stand out. One of my favourite sillage monsters ever. The bottle and the colour of the juice is gorgeous too. It just oozes class.
Age Group: Mid 20′s to early 40′s
Categorisation: Works wonders in cool weather and at night. The perfect nighttime scent. Two squirts to either side of the neck.
6. Yves Saint Laurent Kouros – I see some scrunched up noses. Yes Kouros is certainly.. unique! It smells like urinal cakes. It’s animalic yet soapy, dirty yet clean.. in other words, it’s really odd. At first sniff it’s not very nice, I’ll admit. Infact the explosion of scent is so intense, you don’t quite know what to do. it fills the entire room and everyone knows you’ve just sprayed on something really weird. Yikes! But after it settles down, it begins to make sense. Suddenly you begin to sniff uncontrollably trying to figure out what exactly it is that has you addicted.
There is a reason why it’s still a best seller despite it being released in 1981! I personally don;t have the guts to wear it in public so I use it as a comfort scent. Either way, if you can pull it off, it’s great. Did I talk about the sillage? This fills the room and like Micheal For Men, keeps it’s strength. Longevity is around 18 hours for this one. Very long lasting and very lively for the majority of the 18 hours!
Age Group: 40 plus
Categorisation: Suprpisingly, this works best in summer during the daytime. It’s soapines really works wonders in the heat. One conservative spray on the chest under a thin linen shirt delivers the best results.
7.Montale Black Aoud – The exotic niche creation by Claude Montale is a revelaton. Montale Black Aoud is a rose dominant scent which is only available in Eau De Parfum Concentration. It is a dark brooding scent and if you though.. huh? isn’t rose feminine? Thank again! This is pretty butch for a rose scent. In the base lies aoud which s a strong persistent wood note. This stuff is so strong, it makes me nauseous and I can literally taste the fragrance as it pumps out scent molecules into th atmosphere!
Black Aoud is amazingly high quality. Theres two things going for it. The density of the ingredients and the high fragrance oil concentration.It’s dry for the most part, which is fitting as it is an Arabian style fragrance. Popular in Saudi Arabia, this is predominantly a hot weather scent although I’ve worn it in winter to great effect.
Longevity with this is well over 2 days. It doesn’t shower off!
Age Group: Late 20′s to late 60′s
Categorization: Versatile. Do not recommend wearing it in highly humid areas.
8. Azzaro Chrome Legend – Suprised to see this one? The truth is, chrome legend is a sillage monster. It pumps out scent like a fire hose. Sometimes I get put off it and I have to stop wearing it.
As a scent, chrome legend is a fruity, marine, citrus aquatic designed for one thing. To keep you smelling as fresh as possible for as long as possible. As far as freshness goes, Chrome Legend is sublime with a dominant apple accord anchored by a familiar iodine sea smell. The intensity of this is just incredible.. almost annoying.
Longevity with this is just about acceptable. It lasts for around 6 to 8 hours. A very lively 6 – 8 hours!
9. Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme Eau De Parfum – A bit of a mouthful right? This is a thick, syrupy mix of all things nice.. spice, woods, amber and vanilla. Boy is this stuff strong. Opium is so strong, it’s only sold in 50ml bottles. They figured you’d probably never need 100ml of this stuff. In fact it’s such a heavy sillage monster, the bottle ought to be impossible to pick up! I can’t even begin to describe how ridiculously powerful this stuff is.
The good thing is that Opium Pour Homme EDP seems to be in limited production and is relatively difficult to find. Most department stores don’t carry it so you’ll definitely smell unique.
Opium in its EDT form is plenty strong (lasting over 16 hours with decent output) but the EDP is not only strong but the scent is thicker and denser. The stuff is strongly spicy, strongly sweet and very very thick. In other words, syrupy. Like treacle.
Longevity is well over 24 hours. It’ll easily last two days if you don’t shower. This stuff is incredible. Word is, the editor of French Vogue, some lady, wears this as her signature scent. Not that you care anyway!
Age Group: late 30′s plus. Difficult to pull off for a younger guy. You’re welcome to try.
Categorization: Cool weather scent. May work in summer due to it’s spicy properties. Wear at your own risk.
10. Paco Rabanne 1 million – Loved by many and equally hated by many, 1 million is a victim of its own success. on the surface, 1 million is gorgeous. It’s a sweet leather scent with great longevity and ofcourse, its a sillage monster. Here’s the thing; It’s popular and because it’s so powerful, you can smell it everywhere. You cannot walk for over a mile in town without catching a whiff of this.
For that reason I avoid wearing it often. However, I can’t fault the scent itself. It’s a best seller for a reason. it has a buttery sweetness and it’s utterly addictive. It’s one of my girlfriend’s favorite scents on me and she doesn’t like much of what I wear. A hit with the ladies, high quality and of course, you’ll smell awesome.
Longevity is pretty good. Paco’s 1 million delivers around 12 hours of scent life from a couple of sprays.
Can’t fault it.
Age Group: Late Teens, Early to Mid 20′s
Categorization: Cool weather scent. Is a bit much in warmer weather.
There you have it. A list of 0 heavyhitters. True sillage monsters.Google+